Monday, January 14, 2013

#3 Reason to Homeschool


When I decided to homeschool, I wrote a list of reasons why I was choosing this journey for my family.  One of the items on the list was that I wanted my children to have the ability to remain children as long as possible, something I knew would be increasingly difficult if they were in a traditional classroom each day.

I want my children to build a solid foundation before going out into the world.  I want them to be who they were born to be, not waver due to peer pressure at an early age.  As a result, I have two daughters who are passionate about nature, science and Star Wars and a son who enjoys cooking, art, and playing dolls with his sisters...along with all of your other traditional girl/boy interests. 

When August was two I purchased a boy Bitty Baby for him.  I was pregnant with Martha and I thought he'd enjoy having a baby to take care of alongside me when his little sister was born.  Since the day he arrived, his baby Max has been played with and well taken care.  Over the years, as we've purchased American Girl dolls for his sisters, August has questioned why they don't make a boy doll ("They could start an American Boy division of the company," he says).  And so this year, when he asked again, I started my hunt to find a boy doll.

Henry, an 18" boy doll by Gotz I purchased from Pottery Barn Kids ($89), joined our family this Christmas and August is thrilled.  Along with the doll, he received custom-made boy clothes for Henry and a bag to keep all of his gear in.  My husband is making Henry a bed for August's birthday next month.

I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to hear all three of my children playing together with their dolls.  Lanie, Kit and Henry have had tea parties and lightsaber duels, gone ice skating and fishing, and played house. I cannot wait to see what their next adventure will be! 

This is why I homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment